My recent ER visit / Go Fund Me

If you can help, please go to my GoFundMe page. 

I visited the ER a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was having a heart attack. I had many of the symptoms, and what pushed me over the edge to go was the cold sweats and high blood pressure. My father had a heart attack years ago, and I try to be mindful. I am on medicine for blood pressure and cholesterol already. I also have acid reflux. Guess what - many of those symptoms belong to the list of heart attack symptoms. But, this didn't feel like just acid reflux. I know what that's like. I was also a little dizzy and weak on top of everything else.

Spent 8 hours in the ER. It wasn't a cardiac event. The doctor thought it might be pancreatitis, and ordered some imaging. She didn't see what she needed to confirm that. I do feel that she was on the right track, and it was at the early stages. I follow up with my regular doctor in a week or two.

Since the ER visit, I've been working on my diet. I've lost nearly 10 pounds (which I needed to do anyway). I'm trying to be more mindful of "clean eating". Cinnamon is out (my morning oatmeal tastes so blah without it) and chocolate is severely limited. 

Of course, working for myself as an artist, writer, etc... I don't have insurance. To be honest, I barely make the money to cover my personal bills. I live with and take care of my elderly parents. While they will help me with the medical bills, I am trying to raise money to take care of them. I have also applied for financial aid from the hospital.

I have nearly $15,000 in bills for 8 hours and no real results. It's frustrating. And, while that's the total, the bills come from 1) Baptist South 2) the imaging company and 3) the ER doctor. WTF? Shouldn't the patient just get one bill from the hospital? I know this is the system, but it doesn't make much sense.

I will admit, I'm not a fan of the American health system. I guess I should be glad I wasn't admitted, which I thought was going to happen when the doc ordered imaging. There are many, many Americans who cannot afford insurance. I can't find insurance for less than $1,000 a month. Combine that with high deductables, and this bill is still less than if I had insurance. Anyway, that's enough on that... 

I don't like to idea of opening a GoFundMe, but felt I needed to do something to help. If you can help out, even if it's only just sharing a link, I would be so thankful! 

Take Care!

 https://gofund.me/cb5b8434https://gofund.me/81360b59https://gofund.me/81360b59

Comments