Setting Goals for BMAC

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/korokstudios

Buy Me A Coffee prompted me to set a goal for this site, and so I set one for $100. I posted that this will go towards freeing up time to write more. So, I'm going to talk about that.

For many, many, MANY years, I have wanted to create my own comics. I used to write and draw comic zines back in my late teens / early 20's. I fell off on this at some point, likely because real life got in the way. I've made attempts at doing this, even working with other people. I have material that needs to be finished and put together. This has needed doing for years. It isn't just the desire to create a comic that goes into it... I can write the story no problem. Then, it needs to be penciled, inked, lettered, and colored. The need to earn money gets in the way of all of this.

For most of my life, I've earned my money through my beefcake photography. My BMAC page is not meant to be a platform for that, but it is a part of my life so I'm discussing it. Mostly, I sell prints on eBay and eBid, and listing those can be time consuming. The market for it has changed, and I can be slow to keep up. By the time I'm working on one thing, the next has come along.

I also earn some of my money from sketch cards, with commissions being the bulk of that. I sell on Etsy, Redbubble, Society6, Zazzle, and other venues. I work to get my art and photography out there. Through all of this, I still want to create comics.

What that boils down to is this. I want to tell stories. I decided to pivot, and work on short stories. I've worked at writing stories before, including having started a young adult novel. Sadly, the file for the novel got corrupted, so I'm back at square one with that. The idea of writing a novel feels a little overwhelming right now. Sometimes, writing a 6 to 10 page story feels overwhelming, but I plug away at it.

I have two complete stories in my Knights Of Sun And Star series so far. I'm working on the third one, and I have to say, it took a turn that I didn't expect when I sat down to write it. I'm hoping that I can get this one finished and published (via Kindle) by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

Ultimately, all that I'm doing leads to a much larger goal. I want to travel to Thailand and live there for a year. I set my goal for this as 2022, but fully accept it may take me more time to be able to do this. I have a LOT to do in order to make it happen, and I'm working on it. I have issues with depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc... and often end up being my own worst enemy. Yes, I'm in therapy, and I'm working on making sure I keep moving forward. I often do this by breaking things up into smaller goals.

I recently hit a goal, though it is a health goal. I am 51 years old. Two months ago, I got diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure. I'm on medicine for both. The doctor told me to lose 50 pounds. I weighed in at 250lbs when diagnosed. Over the weekend, I weighed in at 219.8lbs. Hitting 220lbs was a goal. My next goal for weight loss is 200lbs, though I will probably celebrate hitting 210.

In addition to my personal, work, and health issues, I also live with and care for my parents. They are both in their 80's. It is sometimes easy and sometimes challenging. No matter how I feel about my life (depression often wanting me to throw a pity party), I know there are people who have it worse.

I hope that you consider supporting me on this site. If you don't want to here, please check out one of my online stores - just search Korok Studios on Google (or look for in-post links here). I will continue to post here, sharing my art and photography, as well as links to my stories, t-shirts, etc...

Thank You for taking the time to read this, and I hope you have a Groovy Day!

 

Comments