Morton's Neuroma, walking, and my upcoming birthday...

So, I walked this morning. Yippee.

 

I'm working on weight loss, and being more serious about it. This morning, I weighed it right at 250lbs. My goal is to lose 10%, or 25lbs. After that, I'll adjust the goal and work on that. Hopefully, I can do this by Thanksgiving. Here's what 250lbs and almost 51 looks like...

 

 While I'm not concerned about looks, I am concerned about my health and how I feel. I am heavier than I care for, though I am not repelled when I look in the mirror. I long ago accepted that this is what I look like... and I mean waaaaay back when I was a skinny thing in my 20s! I think that's important for all of us to do! Look in the mirror and accept and love yourself as you are! 

So, what's inspiring my efforts? Last week I went to the podiatrist because I have a pain/discomfort on the bottom of my foot. It feels like I'm stepping on something, with bouts of tingling.  The tingling is like my foot wants to fall asleep but just can't quite make it there. I looked online for my symptoms, and the podiatrist confirmed that it was Morton's Neuroma. I understand it to be a thickening of tissue around your nerves, usually around the middle toes. I got a shot of cortisone which has helped a little. Online reading says the shot is the treatment and it can take days to weeks to go away. The pain is described as stepping on a stone in your shoe. I feel like what I'm stepping on is liquid somewhat. It has "flattened" since the shot, but is still there. 

I'm often barefoot or in sandals. An adjustment I have to make is wearing shoes, as well as support in the shoes. I work from home and I'm often barefoot in the house, but I'm going to have to start wearing shoes for part of the day at least. Being overweight can cause the Neuroma. So can diabetes, and the doc has ordered blood work. I go to do that this week. Oh, I have no insurance (working artist, little money), so this ain't cheap. >sigh<

Last week I started on my goals. They are currently: walk, at least 3 times this week and next. I drink 1.5-2 sodas a day (the morning soda, I might only have half of). I've replaced that morning soda with sparkling water. Haven't found any I really like yet, but I'm drinking it. I'm also replacing some of the bottled tea I drink with water. There are plenty of low-calorie mix-ins I can use if I don't want to drink plain water. Also working on reducing my snacking, and what I snack on. I'm also trying to make my lunches veggie-oriented, which I've managed to do so far. Down the road, I plan to only have soda if I'm eating out. I have a limited amount of sodas left to drink up, and when they're gone, I ain't buying no more.

My plan isn't perfect, but I will make adjustments as needed. If I can keep up the walking, that will be a big component in my journey.

This all comes right before my birthday. Woo woo! I turn 51 this week, on Wednesday. With Covid-19 going on, this will be a quiet birthday. No going out to dinner, though my parents and I will get a take-out. I probably won't be seeing my brother and nephew. I will see my best friend for a bit though. Sadly, no Disney trip this year. I love going to Disney as a birthday treat. Instead, I ordered a few t-shirts from the Disney online store. I've also bought some other things for myself, both big and small, as this year's birthday celebration. This is fairly normal, though I usually stick to smaller things.

Here I am in the Donal Duck tee I bought! 

That's all for now. It's back to work for me. I will continue to post about my weight loss, my art, and any other thing that pops into my head. Take Care!

 

 

 

 

Comments