How to sell on Amazon, eBay, etc...

I just followed one of those "How to sell on Amazon" links and was shocked! They wanted $1,000 (more or less) to "teach" you how to sell on Amazon! To hell with that. I can tell you how to do this, and I'll do it for free!

So, before I start, I'll tell you that I got started on eBay not long after eBay got started. I'm thinking this was sometime in the mid to late 1990's. I'll admit that I'm terrible at remembering the "when" of something, so if I'm off a little bit, it's still a long time. Since I'm a photographer and artist, that's mostly what I sell, but I have been known to sell other items as well. I have sold on Amazon, but I'll admit that it's been a while.

So, here it is... 

First, you have to go to the site you want to sell on and create a seller account. On sites like eBay and eBid, this is free. I believe Amazon will allow you to sell a few items without paying for a seller account, but they want you to have an account if you're going to sell more than 2 or 3 items. Last time I looked, it was around $40 a month. I have a store subscription on both eBay and eBid. With the subscriptions I have for both sites, I pay less than $30 a month to sell. On eBid, this allows me to have a store-front and use the buy-it-now feature. On eBay, I get 500 free listings a month, divided between auctions and buy-it-now. I know the free listings are good for select categories, so you might want to check if what you're selling falls into those categories. 

Once you have your account set up, it's time to start listing items. You need to take some good photos of your items to post to the listing. Make sure you use a plain background. Take photos of any flaws or defects. For example, I recently listed a couple of old 1950's sci-fi story magazines, and I made sure to take photos of the spines and edges (which had a lot of wear). 

Next thing to do is to research your item. See what it's selling for. Factor in how much you paid for it. You obviously want to make a profit. If you bought an action figure on clearance for $5, the packaging is still in great (like new) shape, and the going rate for it is say $10-$20, you might consider listing it for $12.50. Why did I choose this price? It's low enough to attract buyers, but not so low that they are suspicious. It's also not too high, where you might not get any interest. That's for an auction. For a "buy it now", I might list it for $16, and much for the same reasons. With an auction, you have the chance of earning more for the item. With "buy it now", what you set the price at is what you get. Both have good points and bad. Don't be discouraged if an item doesn't sell during it's first, or even second, go-round on listings. 

When writing your item description, make sure you describe the item well. Describe the condition of the item and the packaging if appropriate. Learn some of the terms that apply and use them. If a buyer asks a question about the item, consider adding that information to future listings. Answer buyer questions politely and quickly. You should answer within 24 hours. Remember that customer service is key. Think of how you want to be treated when you buy, and then treat your customers that way.

As for shipping, you want to charge a reasonable price. Invest in a postage or kitchen scale. You can get one for around $20 on Wal-Mart's web-site. Use USPS.com to look up postage prices, but be warned that you will have some difficulty finding first class prices as you can't mail first class via USPS (but you can via PayPal). Invest in the proper mailers and packaging for your items as well. eBay store subscriptions have a quarterly coupon that helps with shipping supplies. Don't over-price your postage, but watch out for under-pricing as well.

Finally, sign up for payment options. PayPal is great. I hear people complain about it from time to time, but I've never had any trouble. There are also other payment options like Venmo and Google Pay. Check out what the site you're selling on allows and go from there.

Feedback is important too. If you have low feedback, on eBay for example, consider buying some stuff (like your supplies) there so you can get some feedbacks. I leave positive feedback for my buyers after they have paid and I am packing up their items. 

Where do I find items to sell? That's a good question, and one I work at answering for myself since I'm wanting to branch out a bit. Clearance aisles, and stores like Ollies / Big Lots are good places to start. Start looking for places to buy from where you can flip the items for a profit. It may take some time, but you will find your sources. 

There is obviously more to this, but honestly, experience is the best teacher. Some of what works for me might not work will for you, and vice versa. I encourage you to read the "how to" guides on any site you want to sell on, and look for the selling forums as well.

I hope this has helped, and hey! You didn't have to spend any money for the advice! There are always links to sites where I sell my art, so I would appreciate you going and taking a look (and maybe sharing a link). 

Take Care! Happy Selling!

Comments