Gay Pride 2016

For 2016, I have created two new pieces of digital art to celebrate Gay Pride! One, a bokeh style rainbow flag has been seen in a previous post, and this remixed flag with "PRIDE" emblazoned across it.



These two pieces are my artistic expressions of Pride! I am also working on a new painting that is inspired both by Pride, and the tragic shooting at The Pulse in Orlando. I am still reeling from that news, and trying to work it out. I am hurt, sad, and most of all - angry! I'd like to channel that anger in a positive manner.

So, what does "Pride" mean to me? Well, I'm a gay man. I have been openly gay since I was a teen-ager, and let me tell you, when I was a teen, I was the only one who was openly gay. In the 80's, you just didn't come out. Of course, I was kind of crazy, and even then I had stopped caring about what people thought about me, even though I also wanted to belong.

It's taken me a long time, but I realized I do not belong. I do not fit in. And that's okay. I don't have to be part of a group to enjoy meeting people. I feel blessed that I have all kinds of friends. I get can get along with just about anyone because I accept them as they are. I expect people to accept me as is.

I tend to think of myself as more of a comic geek than a gay man. Maybe I'm just a comic geek who happens to be gay. I love action figures, comics, reading books, watching tv and movies, and listening to music! I like being creative. It doesn't matter if I'm drawing, painting, taking photos, creating a dj mix, stringing beads, etc... I love it. Most importantly, I like myself and my own company. I'm an introvert, but I also like going out and seeing friends. My world can be small at times, and at other times it feels like I have the entire multiverse to explore.

Now go hug your friends and family. Tell them that you love them! And most importantly: accept them as they are. 

FYI: If you like my Pride design, it's available in my Zazzle store - http://zazzle.com/korokstudios

Comments