Pear Preserves Cake

Yesterday, I decided that it was time to make another Pear Preserves Cake. This is a yummy, spice cake. I usually like making this in January. It's been cold here this week, so it seems like the right time to put this in the oven. I got the recipe, a long time ago, from Southern Living magazine.



While I am giving the recipe in full, you will notice that I don't dust mine with powdered sugar. I figure it's for the family at home, and after a day or two, powdered sugar topping gets kinda sticky. That said, if I were taking this to someone, or serving at a party, I would likely dust it with powdered sugar (or make a simple glaze with powdered sugar). 



PEAR PRESERVES CAKE

1 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 (11.5 ounce) jar pear preserves
1 cup chopped pecans
powdered sugar

*Beat shortening and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in vanilla extract.

*Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until just blended after each addition.

*Fold in pear preserves and pecans. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. (You can also use a bundt pan, like I do.)

*Bate at 325-degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Dust top of cake with powdered sugar.

Comments