On quitting the gym and walking to lose weight

Today I quit the gym! I had been a member of Planet Fitness for almost 3 years. It's a great concept, and a nice gym. I do like it a lot (and hope to rejoin in the future). So, why did I quit?

I couldn't get up there on a regular basis. I'm able to go walk several times a week, but can't seem to make it to the gym at least once a week. I would go for months at a time without going! It's been creating stress for me lately, and I just can't deal with that. I have enough stress in my life, and don't need not getting to the gym to add to that. I can't afford a gym membership when my attendance is sporadic.

While I feel bad about quitting the gym, it doesn't mean that I've given up my efforts to lose some weight and get in better shape. My goal has never been to be some muscle god anyway. I walk several times a week, for at least 30 minutes each time. I often walk in the mid-afternoon, when it's hottest. 
 
I really got going with walking at the beginning of summer. About 5 years ago, I had lost 20 pounds, mostly from walking. I have since found it again. I started walking again, with the goal of walking every day. I knew I'd miss a few days, but I have been able to walk 3-4 days out of the week, which I feel is good. I have fallen off the wagon a few times... mostly due to weather. I'd miss a week, but instead of beating myself up over it, I just started walking again. I am keeping up the walking. I also have some weights at home, and plan to use them since I won't be at the gym anymore. I have recently begun to see the weight come off.

When I lost that weight 5 years ago, I did not have the best diet. I drank soda all day long, and ate tons of junk food. My diet has since improved. I'm down to one soda a day now, and rarely drink that entire soda. (I sometimes have a second one, but try not to.) I drink lots of water! I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast. I still eat some junk food, but I portion it out, and I have set a curfew on nighttime snacking. I don't eat out as much, or get as much fast food. I keep looking for small changes I can make, and implement them. I have found that for me, it works best if I work on one thing, make it a habit, then move on to the next. 
 
We're all different, so find a plan, or plans, that work best for you. I do encourage you, no matter what shape you're in, to get up and walk around some. A benefit I have received from it is that it helps me deal with my depression.
 
Right now, my short term goal is to lose 20 pounds. My long term is to lose about 60 pounds. I'm at 260, much heavier than I'd like. It's the health issue of it that bothers me... I've always been comfortable with what I look like. I do want to have more energy, and to reduce risks of diabetes, heart disease, etc... I also work at my desk all day, so getting up and moving around helps... It gets ideas flowing, keeps me from getting too stuck in my depression, etc... 
 
I'm out of here for now folks! Take Care!

Comments