Listening to Michael Nesmith...



I recently wrote about reconnecting to The Monkees, thanks to reruns on IFC! My favourite Monkee is Michael Nesmith. I did some poking around online, and discovered quite an extensive post-Monkees musical career from him. 
 
After listening to a couple of songs online, I ordered a greatest hits double cd set: RIO. I've really enjoyed this, and look forward to getting other albums. Right now, favourite songs off the cd include "Cruisin'", "I Am Not That", "Papa Gene's Blues" (Live), "5 Second Concerts" (Live), and "Capsule". 



I think one of the things I'm really enjoying about the rekindled interest in The Monkees is that there is a lot of "new" (and by that I mean new-to-me) music for me to discover.  I have always loved music! I have listened to disco, country, 80's pop & alternative, 90's club techno, hi-nrg, and much, much more. While I mostly gravitate towards dance music and electronica, I appreciate a wide range of music, and styles of music. That said, many of today's artists don't do much for me... I don't mean that as a slam. It's neither good nor bad. There are things I like in modern pop/dance music, but a lot I'm indifferent too. It's nice to have someone "new" to listen to, and explore their back catalog. I used to watch the Monkees in reruns during my late teens and early twenties, but I don't think I got much further than a couple of greatest hits lp's/cassettes back then. Now, I get to make up for lost time.

By the way, please feel free to share in the comments any favourite Monkees (or post-Monkees) songs you really like, or even some new or new-to-you groups/singers that you are currently digging. 

note: The photos I've shared in this post are scans I've made from the cd. A most excellent cd, and worth checking out!

Comments