Spicy Blueberry Pie



When I was at the store the other day, I picked up some blueberries. They looked yummy, and were on sale. Yay! So, I decided this morning to make a pie. Specifically, a Spicy Blueberry Pie. The recipe came from the June 1996 issue of Southern Living magazine. I've made it several times, and it's yummy! However - I did a variation this time. I didn't have dough to top the pie with, so I just made a simple crumble for the topping. It was awesome! 

About the photos: First of all, the photos I take are done in my kitchen of the actual food I make, (If I use something from someone's web-site, it'll likely have their logo and I'll likely credit it.) I'm pretty straight-forward as a photographer... this is what it is! I did forget to take making-of photos, and I apologize for that. I was going to take a photo of a slice, but the pie turned out a little loose, and every slice came out messy! I've made this other times where every slice is perfect, so... I think it's hit or miss.

I was drawn to this recipe by it's use of cinnamon and allspice. I had never thought to use those spices in a blueberry pie. Most fillings seem to be blueberries with some sugar and flour or corn starch, and maybe a splash of lemon juice. This was interesting, and ever since I first made it, it has become my favourite blueberry pie to make. The flavor is just incredicble! The pie is juicy, and rich, and you get those hints of the spices as you eat. Serve a warm slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and that is just heavenly!



So, here's the recipe...

SPICY BLUEBERRY PIE

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
5 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon sugar

*Combine the first 8 ingredients, tossing gently.

*Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions. Spoon blueberry mixture into pastry shell.

*Roll remaining piecrust to 1/8-inch thichness; cut into 6 (2 1/2 inch wide) strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling; fold edges under and crimp. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.

*Bake at 400-degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden, shielding edges with strips of aluminum foil to prevent excess browning during last 20 minutes of baking.


NOTE: If you would like to make the crumb topping instead of a pastry topping, it's easy. Take a half stick of butter (or margarine), 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of brown sugar and mix them in a bowl with a fork or hand-held mixer until the texture is coarse and crumbly. I used half of this mixture on my pie, but top yours with as much as you like. The pie is awesome with either topping! 

I hope you all try this recipe and enjoy it!

Comments