Saturday's Lunch: Chili's Queso Fried Chicken Bites + Cookie Monster Ice Cream

So, it's Saturday and I'm out running a few errands, thinking I might buy lunch out somewhere. Honestly, I've been craving McDonald's all week, but avoiding it because I'm trying to lose some weight, and don't need all the empty (but delicious) calories! Still, I'm not on a diet per say... just trying to watch what I eat. Anyway, I'm in Wal-Mart, and not finding what I was looking for, but I was wandering the frozen foods, and some of Chili's products stood out. I bought a couple of meals, paying less than I would at a fast food joint.



So, for lunch I had the Queso Fried Chicken Bites, pictured above. The picture is from the Chili's web-site, here: http://www.chilisathome.com/product/queso-fried-chicken-bites/ For $2.50, there were three decent sized bites and a scoop of mashed potatoes, smothered in queso sauce. The flavor was good! It was like eating a chicken jalepeno popper almost. Hot enough to be flavourful, but not burn your taste buds. I'm a big guy, and wish there had been about 50% more of the serving. That said, this made a nice sized lunch. I'm full, and I didn't over-eat, like I would if I had gone to a fast food place. This gets a "B" from me. I liked it and would buy it again. There are coupons on the site, so be sure to check it out.

Now, on to the ice cream! Yesterday I made a batch of "Cookie Monster Ice Cream". The recipe came from: http://www.bakingbeauty.net/homemade-cookie-monster-ice-cream/  So, these are my pictures (not my best) of the ice cream in the container. 




I decided not to use the blue food colouring. Basically, you are making a frozen whipped cream with this recipe. The flavour over-all is good. Of the cream without the cookies, I thought "meh" - kind of in the middle. The cookies really help with the flavour, and I wish I had broken mine up a little smaller. I have good sized chunks of cookie in this ice cream! I do like it, and will certainly eat it up. I'm thinking of fiddling with the recipe a bit to customize it to my taste. I highly recommend playing with recipes... make it once as directed, and if you liked it, play with it a little to make it more your taste. The ice cream gets a "B" as well. 

So, that's my food adventure for now. I'm hoping to get out to an art market next Saturday. Until then...

Comments