Vanilla Butter Cake with Mixed Berries

When I found the recipe for Paula Deen's Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake in the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of Food Network Magazine, I fell in love with it! It is delicious, decadent, and easy to make! Check out the recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/double-chocolate-gooey-butter-cake-recipe2.html 




Now, I will get to thinking about recipes and variations of them... I had tried this cake with a vanilla cake crust and the chocolate filling and it tasted great. The other day, I got to thinking about how would it taste as a vanilla cake with some berries in it. I had some frozen berries on-hand, and decided to have a go. It was a good decision. The cake is just as moist with the crispy texture on top, and it has the bonus of berries in it! I used raspberries and a few blueberries. I would encourage you to use whatever berry combination you see fit to use.

So, here's my altered version of Paula Deen's recipe. The changes are mostly switching from chocolate to vanilla and adding berries.

1 18.25-ounce package vanilla cake mix
3 large eggs
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 16-ounce box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 cups berries (fresh or frozen) of your choice

*Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Lightly butter (or spray with cooking spray) a 9x13 inch baking pan.

*In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup of the melted butter. Stir until well blended. Pat the mixture into the pan. Top with berries and set it aside.

*In a large bowl (I use the same bowl), using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and beat until well mixed. Reduce the speed to low and add the confectioners' sugar. Beat until well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter and the vanilla. Beat until smooth. Spread the filling over the batter in the pan.

*Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook it. The center will be a little gooey. Let partially cool on a wire rack before serving.

I store my cake in the fridge, but have left the chocolate version out at room temperature (covered, of course).

As I said, I really didn't alter the recipe much at all. Just swapped out a few ingredients, or omitted an ingredient or two. Check out the link above for the chocolate version. Try different combinations and see what you can come up with! Have fun with it!


Comments